When your young life starts with terror and violence and your family is destroyed before your eyes and you are forced to commit all manner of atrocities…for six long years…what will you do once you escape?
Meet Ayella Denis (see the video here), once a child soldier of the LRA in northern Uganda, he escaped to start a new life on a very different path. See how one man can change not only his life, but the lives of many, many others.
As missionaries, we are discouraged from soliciting funds for worthy projects while on our mission. We’ve struggled with that, trying to know how to share the great needs here without asking any one person for money. We’ve concluded that we will describe the needs, then leave any contribution between the giver and the recipient so no money is passed from our hand to theirs. This seems to be the cleanest way to help those here who have genuine need without putting ourselves in the position of the giver.
The beauty of this cause is that there is no concern regarding government corruption or a greedy middle man who siphons off the proceeds before they reach the recipient. We’re confident that Denis will exercise care in using the money for its best purpose.
There are several ways a person can help Denis. We’ll list them here and leave it to you whether to become involved and in what area. Our personal recommendation centers on providing things that can self-perpetuate, such as building the farm or sponsoring a talent tour. We caution you not to send money or goods by mail or parcel service. It will not likely make it here intact.
There are five areas you can help The Future Is Now orphanage:
- $35/month – Sponsor a Child by making a modest monthly donation. This will provide food, clothing, school fees, and shelter for the child. Denis will introduce you to your child and keep you posted on their progress.
- $100/month – Supply Urgent Needs such as beds, mattresses, bedding, mosquito nets, shoes and used clothing. Your donation will be greatly appreciated. Denis will send photos of how your donation is helping improve the orphanage.
- $1,000 + Build the Dream and fund completion of the current buildings (concrete floors, windows, stucco), build new family homes, and complete the playground, farm, and livestock projects.
- Come Lend a Hand by visiting Gulu and getting to work. Denis will host your group, provide a true humanitarian service experience, and book you on a local African safari before returning home.
- Sponsor a Tour so the children can perform and earn money. This can be as big or modest as you wish. They could perform in country or abroad.
Want to Help?
First, read this document about Charitable Giving.
You can help by coming to work on a project or send contributions. You can contact Ayella Denis personally by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +256 789 320 901
You can send your contribution using Moneygram. If you need help or have suggestions, please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org.